If you utilize an off-grid alternative energy system, you will require a battery bank with deep cycle batteries.
The most common deep cycle batteries utilized in off-grid energy systems are (deep cycle) lead-acid batteries due to the fact that they’re trustworthy, budget friendly, and able to consistently deeply discharge and charge.
However a lot is asked of deep cycle lead-acid batteries in off-grid energy systems. The routine deep discharging then charging they need to perform puts a lot of tension on the batteries.
But if you take proper care of the batteries … and also do a couple of ideas and techniques we’ll teach you in this article, you can take full advantage of the life expectancy of your deep cycle batteries.
In this post, we’ll not only show you our top 6 methods to extend the life of your lead-acid deep cycle batteries …
We’ll likewise point out a few of the most typical errors we see people making when they utilize lead-acid deep cycle batteries in their off-grid energy system (so you do not make the same errors)!
The Battery Bank Is The Achilles Heel Of Solar/Wind/Off-Grid Energy Systems
Before we give you our top 7 ideas and tricks, we want you to know why this details is important …
- One the most pricey parts of an off-grid energy system is the battery bank.
- And the batteries are typically among the first things to fail in a system.
- Inappropriate battery care frequently eliminates the batteries in the battery bank well prior to their time. This requires individuals to purchase brand-new costly batteries and also cripples their off-grid system up until they replace the dead batteries.
Proper care is critically crucial so you avoid early aging of your batteries and maximize their life expectancy.
Quick Suggestion: If your deep cycle lead-acid batteries do die … or if you just want to conserve cash on your battery bank, you can:
- Get old batteries free of charge (or dirt cheap if you know where to look).
- Recondition them back to 100% of their initial working condition.
- And construct your battery bank with those batteries instead of new pricey batteries.
6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Lead-Acid Deep Cycle Batteries
- Utilize High Quality BatteriesThis tip probably appears obvious, but the old expression ‘You get what you pay for’ holds real for a lot of deep cycle batteries.Cheap off-brand batteries from China are flooding the marketplace right now and you wish to prevent utilizing these. They typically have a much shorter life expectancy compared to quality batteries that you pay a bit more for upfront.
High quality flat plate batteries can last between 10-12 years. The more pricey tubular plate batteries can even last as long as 20-25 years if maintained appropriately.
Spending for higher quality batteries upfront that last 10-25 years might appear expensive however it really ends up being more pricey to buy low-cost batteries … then changing them every couple years (due to the fact that they die early).
If you wish to conserve money on your battery bank don’t buy “low-cost” batteries, instead get quality used batteries and recondition them back to their initial condition.
Don’t understand what batteries to utilize? If you don’t understand what kind of batteries to get for your off-grid energy system, read our article about the 3 finest batteries for off-grid energy systems.
- Proactively Avoid DeteriorationEven if you utilize the most expensive, high-quality batteries in your battery bank, it will not be of much usage if the batteries aren’t cared for and corrosion or acid is on them.
Prior to you put together all of the components of your battery bank, ensure to separately coat the terminals, wire lugs, nuts and bolts with a non-hardening sealant.
You can likewise apply a thin finishing of petroleum jelly to the battery terminals for some extra protection.
Seal exposed wire at a terminal lug using submersible rubber splice tape or something comparable.
The factor all of this has to be done before assembly is due to the fact that it guarantees that all of the parts are similarly protected. If you apply protective substances after you complete assembling the system, there is a good chance that dirt will enter into small areas that weren’t effectively covered.
- Ensure That the Battery Bank and PV Variety are Correctly SizedIf you’re using a photovoltaic panel or wind power system, you ought to make certain that your battery bank is big enough to bring 6 to 10 days of load.
1. You’ll constantly have a good back-up supply of power.
2. And you’ll likewise have the ability to utilize your batteries a little bit more gently so you do not need to consistently drain them.
- Completely Charge The Batteries Every 3 WeeksAt least, make sure to completely charge your batteries every 3 weeks.
This minimizes rust on the within and makes sure equalization.
- Keep Your Batteries at a Suitable Temperature levelSince temperature level extremes trigger batteries to degrade much faster, it is very important that you keep your batteries in a place where the temperature is reasonably stable.
Aside from enclosed above-ground structures, you can also create a structure that is partly underground. This way the temperature level in the structure will remain the very same no matter what the weather condition resembles outside.
In addition, make certain that the charge controller or inverter system has actually an integrated in temperature compensation function. This is essential since the charge voltage limit of a battery increases as temperature level drops and decreases at temperatures increase.
- Don’t Set Up More Than 3 Parallel Battery StringsIdeally, your battery bank must just be made up of a single series of cells. The more cells that are consisted of, the higher the possibility of there being random problems. There’s also a greater chance of losing equalization, leading to cells stopping working prematurely.
If you can’t adhere to just a single series of cells in your battery bank, limitation it to 3 parallel battery strings.
What else can you do to make your lead-acid deep cycle batteries last longer?
There are additional ways you can extend the life of your deep cycle lead-acid batteries. We cover all of these methods in the EZ Battery Reconditioning Program Review.